A Landlord Gas Safety certificate may only be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

Call 07850 375935 for a no-obligation quote

Landlord Gas Safety Certificate

Under the Gas Safety Regulations act 1998, Landlords have a duty to arrange regular maintenance by a GAS SAFE registered installer for all pipe work, appliances and flues on their property that are for tenants use.

Call us now to book a visit from a GAS SAFE registered engineer. The cost will be £55 for first appliance then £10 for each additional appliance.


What’s the worst that could happen?

A qualified engineer is required if gas appliances in your home are unsafe. Otherwise, there is a risk of fire, explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide gas is invisible and has no smell. It is very poisonous and can kill quickly. If you are suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, you might have symptoms such as headaches, nausea, chest pains, sudden faintness, erratic behaviour, diarrhoea or stomach pains.  Safety Tip. You should get a Carbon Monoxide Detector. Test the alarm from time-to-time to make sure the battery is still good. Inform the supplier if the Detector is faulty or the battery needs replacing. Supplier contact details will be on the rear of the Detector. There is no legal requirement for a landlord to install Carbon Monoxide Detectors. However, a tenant may be asked to provide one. You can buy them from hardware shops. They are not expensive and may save lives.

What is a landlord responsible for?

Private landlords must have a valid landlord gas safety certificate (CP12), valid for 12 months. This covers all gas equipment in the accommodation that is rented out. A Landlord Gas Safety Certificate can only be issued by a GAS SAFE registered engineer. Before issuing a landlord Gas Safety Certificate, the engineer will do some checks. Includes gas supply, gas appliances, gas flues and ventilation. If any problems are identified, the landlord must get a GAS SAFE registered engineer to carry out necessary works. The engineer has the power to seal off any faulty equipment. Or he may request the gas company to cut supply to the property should it be deemed necessary.

What about new gas appliances?

All new gas appliances installed since 1998 in bedrooms, bedsits, bathrooms or shower rooms have to be ‘room sealed’. This means that the gas burning system is sealed off from the room. New appliances must be fitted by registered GAS SAFE registered engineers.

What if the landlord does not comply?

Health and Safety Executive has the power to prosecute. Failure to follow gas safety requirements is a criminal offence punishable by a fine or imprisonment.

Areas in Essex for Landlord Gas Safety Certificate:-

Aveley, Basildon, Brentwood, Chadwell Heath, Chafford Hundred, Cranham, Dagenham, Elm Park, Emerson Park, Grays, Hornchurch, Hutton, Rainham, Romford, South Ockendon, Thurrock and Upminster.