Graham Jones & Sons provide Plumbers for all kinds of plumbing services in Essex.

Plumber Services

Call 07590 665525 for a no-obligation quote

We can provide a plumber who is able to undertake all types of plumbing jobs including repair, investigation and installation such as burst pipes and leaks using top-quality tools. The plumbing work will be carried out to a very high standard. For all plumbing and heating jobs, call us for a free quote today. You will find that our plumbers are reliable, always on time and take a highly professional approach to their work.

  • Shower repairs  and pumps – fix, supply and/or fit
  • Washing Machine installation
  • Leaks – if possible, turn off the stopcock immediately then give us a call.
  • Overflows – investigate and resolve cause.
  • Burst pipes – call us straightaway!
  • Pumps – fitting, fault find and resolve cause.
  • Toilets  – not flushing, slow to flush or blocked? We’ll get to the bottom of it.
  • Taps – dripping tap? We’ll change the washer. New taps? We’ll fit them!
  • Waste disposable units
  • Saniflo – supply and/or fit
  • Tanks – supply and/or fit
  • Hot water problems – no hot water? Could be one of several causes. Give us a call.
  • Immersion heaters – fitted
  • Cylinders – supply and/or fit

Gas Safe register Chartered institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering Energy Efficiency

Plumber - plumbing in Upminster, Hornchurch and Romford - repairs - water leaks, burst pipes, emergencies etc.

Plumbing – Frequently Asked Questions.

Information, tips and hints about plumbing – things you can do to help yourself prevent an emergency or at least minimise the damage until the professional comes along.

Commonly occurring plumbing related problems, and answers from the experts. Both questions and answers in this frame – questions only in the left hand frame, for quicker navigation.

1. My water heater seems to have stopped working.

As this may well be a problem with the pump it’s important that the first thing you do is turn the power off, or you may well burn it out. As there are high voltages associated with this part of the heating system it is NOT recommended that you do any DIY investigating unless you really know what you are doing.

2. What should I do if I get a burst water pipe?

The first thing to do with burst pipes is turn off the mains stopcock. This will stop any more water coming into the house, and reduce the pressure of the leak. However, if the loft storage tank is full then there could still be quite a lot more water to flow out, so opening all other taps will probably help in reducing the amount coming from the leak. Get buckets etc to catch any remaining water coming out, and then deal with any flood water and damage. If there is any significant damage to furnishings, it’s worth taking pictures for insurance purposes!

Cutting out the burst section and fitting a new section of pipe yourself is not really feasible for anyone other than the very competent DIY enthusiast who understands plumbing joints etc. So this will be a job for a qualified plumber.

Hopefully the pipe will be visible, or simply behind a kitchen unit or in the loft where it is still reasonably accessible. In which case the plumber will be able to cut in a new length of pipe quickly and efficiently – they’ve done it thousands of times before! Clear everything away before they arrive and make as much room as possible for them to operate in.

3. Dripping Taps.

This is almost invariably due to a faulty tap washer. You can simply fix a new tap, or replace the washer. Both jobs are within the remit of the competent DIY enthusiast with the right tools, but there can be complications, If in any doubt, call us and we will arrange a plumber visit.

Things to check.

Make sure all your pipework in the loft is properly lagged to alleviate the possibility of pipes freezing. Check that your storage tank is lagged and has a proper plastic snap-fit lid. Check that your loft insulation doesn’t actually extend beneath the storage tank. This allows warmth from below to take the chill off the tank. If your boiler is in an exposed position i.e. garage or outbuilding, make sure a frost stat is attached.

Take extra care with pipes in cold weather. Open the loft door to warm the roof area. Have your boiler regularly serviced. If you own or are in a rented property, all gas appliances must be serviced annually and the tenant should have sight of an up-to-date Landlord Gas Safety Certificate. Make sure there is a stopcock on the header tank in the roof. Only allow Gas Safe Registered plumbers to service your gas appliance. Do not allow any unqualified person to touch your gas appliances. They could, if reported, receive a huge fine. It is therefore advisable to contact us and request a Gas Safe registered plumber visit.

4. Know Your Stopcocks.

There should be a stopcock on the mains feed into your house. This is often under the kitchen sink. Make sure it works! You and anyone else living in your home should know where this stopcock is and how to turn it off!

Somewhere outside your house there will also be a mains stopcock. This will almost certainly be below a small trap-hatch somewhere on the street or road outside. However, if a new drive surface or road has been laid, the hatch may become concealed. Make sure you know where it is, how to get to it and that you can operate it.

You should also know where the hot and cold down service valves are. They are usually in the airing cupboard or loft. Make sure they work. If you are unsure of the whereabouts of any of these valves or stopcocks, ask a plumber to check.

5. Your Mains Stopcock!

There should be a stopcock on the mains feed into your house. This is often under the kitchen sink. It’s very likely a plumber will need access to this, so you should know where it is, and remove anything in its way.

6. Your Heating System.

If the problem is with your heating system, be sure you know where the drain down stop-cock is. It will usually be on a radiator on the ground floor near an exit or on the boiler. If a heating pipe gets punctured or starts to leak for any reason you may need to drain down the system. Be sure you know how to use the stop-cock. You may need a length of hose to pipe the water out of the house. (It will be more than a bucket-full!). Have plenty of newspaper or rags to hand. If you’re not a DIY person, call us and we will arrange for a Plumber visit.

To Summarise…

The Frequently Asked Questions sections above are provided to help you understand some of the types of plumbing problems that are encountered or asked about. This should be used for general guidance only. A fully qualified plumber can provide proper help for your particular requirements. If you require professional advice, contact Graham Jones & Son – sooner rather than later.

Note. All the frequently asked questions above are courtesy of

Some of the areas in Essex/London where we can provide a plumber:-
Aveley, Basildon, Brentwood, Chadwell Heath, Chafford Hundred, Collier Row, Corringham, Cranham, Dagenham, Elm Park, Emerson Park, Fobbing, Gidea Park, Grays, Hornchurch, Hutton, North Stifford, Orsett, Rainham, Romford, South Ockendon, Stanford le Hope, Thurrock, Tilbury, Upminster, West Thurrock and beyond.